how do volunteers help?
Bear Cottage relies heavily on a fabulous team of volunteers to assist with the smooth day to day running of the house. Volunteers complement the professional staff by providing practical support to our children and families during their stay. We ask that our volunteers are flexible and willing to help out wherever a need arisies within the house, this encompasses many diverse areas including:
- Working alongside the play therapist & nursing staff with activities for the patients and their siblings such as play, craft, reading stories or taking them on outings
- Assisting staff with practical activities such as cooking, cleaning & gardening
- Taking visitors on tours of the house
- Speaking externally to community groups who support Bear Cottage
- Driving families to outings or appointments
- Walking our dog Frankie
- Administrative assistance
Volunteer positions are now closed for 2013, if you are interested in volunteering there will be an information night early in 2014, please contact Penny Douglas at Bear Cottage for further information.